I have been working with brides and providing my services to them for 7 years. The Wedding Day can be one of the most stressful days in a woman's life. Over the years, through trial and error I have had to learn the things I should and should not do to make sure that I provide the best service I can for the bride on her big day! I wish that there was some sort of manual...."Bridal Vendors Do's and Dont's for Dummies" or "For Makeup Artists Working With Brides...Do This and Definitely Don't Do That". I'm joking of course and serious at the same time. Currently in the matrix of bridal season, I thought I would write the top 5 things you should do and why for all the new Makeup Artists currently or planning on working with brides this season.
1. Have a contract and create an invoice
Having a contract between you and the bride or anyone else you do business with is essential to your business and career as a Makeup Artist. As we all know, contracts that are signed are legally binding. I do not book and confirm a bride or do any business without a signed contract. Contracts ensure that your are legally covered and most importantly, they make sure you get PAID.
Invoices...they assist in you getting PAID. They support the contract. They also outline for the Bride, what services they will be receiving, the cost of those services and when the monies are due. I make sure to provide a minimum of 3 invoices throughout the time I am working with a bride. The first invoice shows them how much they owe for the Makeup/Hair trial. I send the second invoice after the trial and the bride has decided that she wants to book me. The second invoice details that she has paid for the trial, what services she will be receiving on her wedding day and the amount for each service. It also details the due date for the deposit in order to book and confirm my services for their wedding day. Lastly, the second invoice also lists the amount of money due the day of the wedding and reminds them that if the deposit is not received by the due date they will not be confirmed for their wedding date. The 3rd and last invoice lists all the services and the cost of those services they received on their wedding day with a Paid stamp on it. I email and mail a hard copy to the bride's home with my signature.
If you do not have a contract or an invoice, email me and I will help you create one. I can also review the documents your are currently using. info@ mirandaedmonds.com
*Take away...don't do any business without a contract.
2. Bridal Trial: Write down what products you used and where you used it in detail
It is imperative that you write down what products you used and where and how you used those products. Wedding season is very busy and if you are blessed to have a bride/bridal party to do every weekend, how will you know what you used if you don't write it down?! It saves you from the guessing game on the day of the wedding. Sometimes I will even take a picture of the makeup during the trial just as inspiration and to jog my memory on the day of the wedding.
3. Make a list of what you need
After the trial, do not pack up your kit immediately. Take the time to go through your entire kit and make a list of what you need to replenish in your kit. Maybe you noticed as you were applying waterproof mascara on you bride, it was low. What bride wants black mascara running down there cheek as they are crying as they are listening to their groom say his vows?!!! Or maybe you noticed that you only have 5 mascara wands or your foundation primer has zero pumps left. Make note of all these things and then go SHOPPING! No one likes a MUA who is unprepared...especially on the day of a brides' wedding!
4. The night before the wedding:
- Pack your kit and wash your brushes. Take the time to go through your kit carefully and make sure everything you need is in there. Use this time to merge all the things you purchased when you went shopping. Wash and pack your brushes as well.
- Map quest the location of where you will be doing the makeup. Even if you have GPS, still map quest the directions. This will allow you to know how long it will take you to get there. It will also allow you to have backup directions just in case your GPS doesn't recognize the area. Plan enough time in your travel to allow for traffic, accidents, bathroom break if needed and getting lost. I also allow time to find parking. Most of the time brides are having their makeup done in the hotel where they are staying. I allow extra time to get my stuff through the hotel and wait for the elevators etc. I also allow time to set my things up and adjust the hotel room if need be, so that I can work comfortably and with enough light.
- Determine what time you need to wake up and set your alarm. I am sure to have enough time in my schedule to get dressed and make myself pretty...presentation is everything. Look like you you are a Makeup Artist and are a business owner! Enough said. I also make sure to eat a good breakfast, you don't know when you next meal will be. Pack snacks, trust me.
- Gather and Pack all the necessary documents.
- Copy of the last invoice you emailed her
- Business Cards...brides will be your best friends when it comes to booking and getting more business. Be sure to have a plethora of cards. If you don't have any I suggest you get them ASAP.
- Your rate sheet...you never know who else will decide to have their makeup done
- Extra copies of your contract to protect yourself. This is for those who decide to the day of to get their makeup done. Which we should welcome...the more the merrier. Unless, of course you are booked for a wedding later in the day.
- Directions
- Place all these documents in a professional and neat folder and pack with your things.
5. Be professional, patient, kind and understanding
Remember that this can be one of the most stressful and exciting events in a woman's life! Don't take anything they say or do personally. Remain professional, patient, kind and understanding at all times. Put yourself in their shoes. Don't forget that a bride can be the best or worst thing to happen to your bridal business. Keep them happy and at the same time don't let them run all over you. You want them to recommend you and your services to their friends. If you need to vent, vent to a close friend or a peer that understands what you are going through.
- Read "The Four Agreements" By Don Miguel Ruiz and LIVE them!
- The first agreement is: Be impeccable with your word
- The second agreement is: Don't take anything personally
- The third agreement is: Don't make assumptions
- The fourth agreement is: Always do your best
HAVE FUN...not many people get to do what they LOVE for a living!
If you have any questions or need advice, email me at info@mirandaedmonds.com
Labels:
Bridal

Previous Article

Responses
1 Respones to "Top 5 Things A MUA Can Do to Ensure A Smooth Wedding Day For Brides"
This is a great list! Thanks for sharing.
July 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Post a Comment